Tuesday, October 8, 2013

September 23, 2013 - Dodge City!

On the way there...

A lot of these small towns have brick on their "Main Street"...so cool!









There was this huge wind farm!  Never seen anything like it!
 SO excited!











Acts 17:26!

















































It must be something to see in the summer - that's when there's a lot of hoopla, music, food and reenactments!  But even in it's stillness, I could imagine what it would have been like. 

And yes, I know, Hollywood has glamorized this era of our history...when I read some of the history of Dodge City, it's pretty sobering...but there's just something about the wild west, good guys defeating bad guys (like in Silverado) that makes driving all the way down here today, worthwhile...

And so I shook the dust off my shoes and got outta Dodge...

...only to find out that Greg had his share of dust on his ride today!

The fields are so open in western Kansas, that when the wind blows hard (26mph with gusts of 40) the dust just rises up to meet the clouds!


He got blown off the road 15 times today - didn't fall - thank goodness!

He said it was tougher than riding in the Blue Ridge mountains!




After setting up at an RV park, we decided to take the jeep and go chase the dust storm!!  

The sky was so hazy!  Amazing!

As the dust storm moved north, the skies began to clear where we were, but the wind was still blowing!  And we saw our first tumbling tumbleweeds!!

I'm a roaming cowboy riding all day long,
Tumbleweeds around me sing their lonely song.
Nights underneath the prairie moon,
I ride along and sing this tune.

See them tumbling down
Pledging their love to the ground
Lonely but free I'll be found
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds.

Cares of the past are behind
Nowhere to go but I'll find
Just where the trail will wind
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds.

I know when night has gone
That a new world's born at dawn.

I'll keep rolling along
Deep in my heart is a song
Here on the range I belong
Drifting along with the Tumbling Tumbleweeds. - by Bob Nolan

These tumbleweeds were stuck...

...so I tried to free them!



More pics of rural Kansas...


Drove around Scott City for a while...


They have a huge arts and crafts festival called Whimmydiddle (I ain't lyin'!)...the day AFTER we leave!  :(







I gotta say...I was so apprehensive about driving through Kansas...tornadoes and all...and to my surprise...I have fallen in love with it...


No comments:

Post a Comment