Monday, November 25, 2013

November 23, 2013 - A Day to Remember

It was a sunny, winds-from-the-east day...perfect for Greg's ride to the coast...he would do 71 miles.

I stopped in a nearby town before heading to San Diego...



Getting closer!


First glimpse of water!!!!

Got to the RV park we'd be staying at, up near La Jolla.  Once again had to back in to a site. A gentleman who worked there and the next door neighbor, Bill, helped guide and it worked out fine!  

Had a late lunch and then headed out to meet Greg who would be arriving at the outskirts of the city within a half hour.
We were both so excited to finally make it to the west coast!  We wanted to experience it together!



It was after 4 and the sun was beginning to set...

Passed by the aircraft carrier, USS Midway, which is now a museum!  So cool to see it up close!

Then Greg had to take a bicycle route to this ferry that was exclusively for pedestrians & bicyclists, so I had to go another route through town...
 
 

Got to the ferry area but we couldn't find each other.

So I headed to the bridge for Coronado...

Went looking for the ferry landing area...stopped here to look for Greg's ferry...

And there it was!!

Drove through the area and found out the ferry landing is closed to cars...so I parked at a drop off area and waited for him to arrive.  It was obviously dark now...but we were SO CLOSE!  We met up and then I took off to the beach next to the Hotel Del Coronado and Greg took his route to the same destination!

Found a spot next to the beach to park.  

The Del...

Coronado has been our favorite area for such a long time...

When I was 12, my dad had to work out here for Grumman.  And they had this awesome policy that if you had to be away from home for more than a month, you were able to bring your family out.  

So my mom, grandmother, brother and I flew out after my dad had been there a while, and we lived at the Glorietta Bay Motel from the beginning of September to mid-November! It's right across the street from the Del.  My brother and I went to school and, well, I wasn't keen on going at first, being shyer than a mouse, but I made friends and was quite surprised that I did so well in school...B student in math in NY, A student here!). Lunches were spent outside sitting on the grass...had a great art class...I remember doing ink drawings...first learned about all kinds of rocks, in geology, and did a report on the missions of California, in history.  

We were in the pool clear into November...and could walk across the street from the motel to this amazing beach...I had just started piano lessons at home that year and learned Born Free...that was my song by the sea...loved it there.

Greg and I were very fortunate years back, to get round trip airfare anywhere in continental US, for free, with points from our bank.  And this is where we went. The money we saved went to the place we stayed at...Hotel Del.  We had such a wonderful time. 

And we knew this was the place for Greg to dip his front tire into the ocean.

And he does it!

We were both so happy! 

Went back to the jeep, hooked up the bike, and went to the Del to get a bite to eat and walk around for a bit.  On the way there, saw these sand castles out in front of the entrance...






...and met Bill (thesandcastleman.com).  He's been creating these amazing sand castles for 26 years!  
                      Neat heaters for outside dining...


A little celebratory dinner...        


                                                 
It was a day to remember....
                               ...Greg rode across the U.S.A.!

No comments:

Post a Comment